Biltmore Grown Braised Beef Short Ribs
Classic, slow cooked preparation, cooked until fork tender. Best served over creamy polenta or garlic mashed potatoes.
Serves 1 person
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00
- 3 lbs. Biltmore Grown Beef Short Ribs
- Grapeseed or Canola Oil, as needed
- 2 each yellow onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 each carrots, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups Biltmore Red Wine
- 1 quart beef stock or broth*
- 2 each bay leaves
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- Kosher Salt, as needed
- Ground Black Pepper, as needed
- *Biltmore Grown Beef Bones make an excellent stock or broth
- Using a cast iron pan (or another heavy bottomed pan) place on high heat and add enough oil to coat by ¼ inch.
- Generously season short ribs with kosher salt and black pepper, add to pan and brown on all sides, approximately three minutes per side.
- Remove short ribs and set aside, add onions, celery and carrots to hot oil, caramelize lightly.
- Add tomato paste and cook for approximately 2 minutes, stir often with wooden spoon to prevent burning.
- Add red wine to pan, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to remove any brown bits of food, reduce wine by half.
- Add beef stock or broth, bay leaves and thyme, bring to a simmer.
- Return ribs to pan, cover with lid or aluminum foil and place in a preheated 300 degree oven.
- Braised ribs for approximately 2 hours or until fork tender. Depending on thickness of short ribs the cook time may be more or less, check after first hour to check doneness
- When finished, removed short ribs from pan and set in a warm place. Strain braising liquid, discarding vegetables and herbs. Remove grease from sauce.
- Place sauce in sauté pan and simmer over medium high heat to reduce slightly. When reduced season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Serve immediately over mashed potatoes, creamy polenta or the sides of your choice.
Write Your Own Review