Braised Short Ribs with Gingered Sweet Potato Mash and Cherry Barbeque Sauce
Enjoy this hearty recipe, provided courtesy of The Dining Room at The Inn on Biltmore Estate, with our red-blend wine, The Hunt Sonoma County.
Preparation Time: 1:00
Cooking Time: 3:00
This Recipe Pairs With:
- Short Ribs Ingredients
- 6 pounds (4 pieces) beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound carrots - peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound celery - chopped
- 1/2 pound white onions - peeled and chopped
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 2 ounces fresh thyme
- Sauce Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried sweet cherries
- Mash Ingredients
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes - peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger - minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- Pre-heat oven to 275°F. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large heavy pan. Brown short ribs on all sides, remove. Add carrots, celery, and onion to hot pan; cook until just browned. Return short ribs to pan along with thyme and beef stock. Cover pan and place in hot oven. Braise 3 hours, or until meat is extremely tender and falls away from bone. Remove meat to covered platter and keep warm. Strain and reserve cooking liquid.
- In a medium saucepan, bring reserved cooking liquid to a simmer. Reduce until halved in volume. Stir in molasses, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, and dried cherries. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring heavy cream and butter to a simmer. Bring to boil a large pot of salted water. Add diced sweet potatoes. Cook until sweet potatoes are tender. Drain. Run cooked potatoes through food mill or ricer. Stir in warmed cream and butter along with minced ginger and honey. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve: Divide sweet potatoes between 4 plates. Place one short rib atop each portion of sweet potatoes. Top with the cherry barbeque.
Write Your Own Review