Caramel Apples with Hazelnuts and Sea Salt
Give a new twist to a traditional treat by adding the delicious taste and texture of toasted hazelnuts and rich sea salt to caramel apples.
Preparation Time: 0:25
Cooking Time: 0:00
- 6 large Granny Smith Apples at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Flaky sea salt to taste
- 2/4 cup toasted hazelnuts - finely chopped
- Wash and dry apples, then push a wooden lollipop stick through each core. (We used Wilton Bamboo Lollipop Sticks found at the local craft store.) Please note: if you choose to decorate the sticks, do so before skewering the apples.* Combine sugar and corn syrup in a medium sauce pot. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring and swirling frequently, until deep brown in color, about 10–12 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately and carefully whisk in the cream. Stir until smooth, then add butter and a pinch of sea salt. Stir to combine. Let caramel sit to thicken and cool about 3–5 minutes. Dip apples into caramel. Set aside and allow to cool. Sprinkle with nuts and more sea salt, patting gently to set pieces into the caramel. (If chopped hazelnut pieces are too large they will slide to the bottom of the caramel apple.)
- *To decorate sticks, tape or staple end of ribbon to top of lollipop stick. Wrap 3/8-inch ribbon around stick in a candy cane pattern, leaving space between each turn so the stick is visible. Tape or staple ribbon at the bottom. Tie a bow around the stick with another piece of ribbon.
- Tips: The caramel can be made 4 hours in advance. If necessary to loosen up the caramel before using, re-warm it by setting the bowl of caramel into a larger bowl of hot water. If you’re short on time, use prepared caramel available in stores. You can warm it lightly, also, by placing the jar in a bowl of hot water or warming in short increments in the microwave.
Write Your Own Review