Cedric’s Tavern Shepherd’s Pie
The epitome of simple, homey comfort food. Lamb, peas, mushrooms, and garden vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes.
Serves 6 people
Preparation Time: 0:15
Cooking Time: 1:20
This Recipe Pairs With:
- 2 Tbs. Olive oil
- 1 Yellow or white onion, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 2 Stalks Celery, diced
- 2 Tbs. Minced garlic
- 2 C. Button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 Lb. Biltmore Estate ground lamb
- 1 Tbs. Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 C. Biltmore Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/4 C. All purpose flour
- 2 C. Lamb or Beef stock
- as needed Salt and pepper
- 1 Batch Mashed Potatoes
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook for 8-10 minutes until soft but not colored.
- Raise to high heat, add garlic and lamb and cook until lamb is well browned. Stir in tomato paste, mushrooms, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 3 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced by half.
- Add flour to make a roux, cook for 2 minutes, mixing thoroughly. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until thickened. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the meat mixture to an ovenproof baking dish and cover with mashed potatoes. Brush mashed potatoes with melted butter.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 50 minutes until well browned.
Write Your Own Review