Chocolate Cremeux with Gingersnaps
The smell of baked goods like gingerbread immediately brings back wonderful childhood holiday memories. Add a creamy chocolate pudding element to the mix and what could be better? Pastry Sous Chef Tara Lumley created this delicious dessert pairing for you to enjoy at Deerpark Restaurant, or you can prepare your own version for a holiday celebration at home.
- Cremeux Ingredients
- 2 cups + 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups + 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 13 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup + 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 cups dark chocolate (choose at least 74% cacao)
- Gingersnaps Ingredients
- 1 3/4 cups sguar
- 1 1/2 cups shortening
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/8 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons ginger
- Cremeux: Chop the chocolate coarsely. Bring milk and cream to a boil. Whisk egg yolks and sugar together—do not let mixture sit too long because sugar will “cook” the egg yolks. Add about 2 cups of heated cream to egg mixture and whisk until combined. Pour the cremeux mixture back into pot and add the chopped chocolate. Allow the chocolate to melt for about 2 minutes before continuing to whisk until the cremeux mixture thickens. Strain the cremeux, pour into glasses, and let set overnight in the fridge.
- Gingersnaps: Cream sugar, shortening, and molasses together until light and fluffy, then slowly add eggs until incorporated. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix until incorporated. Use a small scoop to form each cookie (approximately 1 ounce each). Roll each cookie in sugar and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes until golden brown. Serve approximately 4 cookies with each 3 oz. portion of chocolate cremeux.