Chorizo Stuffed Tomatoes
This tasty recipe from the Bistro would be great as a side dish or as an appetizer. Pairs well with Biltmore Estate Limited Release Tempranillo.
Serves 1 person
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:30
- 4 whole Slicing Tomatoes
- 2 links Chorizo sausage - outer casing removed
- 3 strips bacon - diced
- 1 yellow onion - minced
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 carrot - minced
- 4oz button mushrooms - sliced
- 4oz Shiitake mushrooms - sliced
- 8oz cornbread - lightly crumbled
- 1oz fresh sage - chopped
- 2oz fresh parsley - chopped
- 4oz butter - cut into small cubes
- Remove the stems from the tomatoes and cut a small “x” on the bottom of each. Put into a pot of boiling water and boil for one minute. Remove and place directly into ice water. Remove tomato skin and cut tomatoes in half and hollow out the inside, removing the seeds. Set aside.
- Crumble the sausage and add it and the bacon to a hot pan. Cook until golden brown and remove from pan, saving pan drippings.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic to the pan and cook until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for about five minutes. Add salt to help soften and release excess moisture. You may need to add a little oil or butter to help cook.
- Remove from heat and place in a large bowl with cooked sausage and bacon and crumbled cornbread. Add herbs and butter and thoroughly combine. Place in refrigerator and cool completely.
- When cool, divide the mixture into the hollowed tomatoes. Before serving, place stuffed tomatoes on a pan and cook in a preheated 350° oven for 15 minutes or until heated.
Write Your Own Review