Cedric's Grilled NY Strip Steak With Black Barley Hoppin’ John & Rosemary Chimichurri
Cedric’s Tavern in Antler Hill Village has created a simple, memorable meal featuring New York strip steaks, grilled to perfection, and served with Hoppin’ John, a Southern favorite, and a rosemary chimichurri, which is a fresh take on a South American classic. Add a bottle of our exceptional Biltmore Cardinal's Crest and you’ve just made a meal your guests will never forget.
- Main Ingredients
- 4 (12-ounce) NY strip steaks
- Kosher salt
- Grape seed or vegetable oil
- Cracked black pepper
- Hoppin’ John Ingredients
- 1/2 pound black barley
- 4 ounces bacon - small dice
- 1 carrot - small dice
- 2 celery stalks - small dice
- 1 small onion - small dice
- 1 red pepper - small dice
- 1 quart chicken stock or canned broth
- 2 cups Carolina Gold rice
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- Kosher salt
- Rosemary Chimichurri Ingredients
- 2 bunches parsley - washed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary - chopped
- 1 lemon - juice and zest
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 shallots - chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Hoppin’ John: Bring 4 quarts water to a boil and add kosher salt. Add barley and cover, cooking for 40 minutes or until tender. Strain and discard water. Cool barley on sheet pan and refrigerate. In a large sauce pot, brown bacon pieces over medium heat. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Add carrot, celery, onion, and red pepper to pot with warm bacon fat and cook until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add rice to stock and cover. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for fifteen minutes until rice is tender. Add bacon, black-eyed peas and cooked barley to the rice. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Rosemary Chimichurri: Combine all ingredients in bowl, stir to mix well. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Prepare charcoal or gas grill to medium heat. Rub steaks with oil and season both sides liberally with sea salt and black pepper. Grill approximately 4 minutes per side to medium rare. Serve over a generous portion of Black Barley Hoppin’ John and top with Rosemary Chimichurri.