Cornelia's Sweet Corn Basil Cakelets with Peach Compote
This recipe won Fan Favorite for Best Dessert in our 2012 Savor Summer Recipe Contest.
Preparation Time: 1:00
Cooking Time: 0:00
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter - room temperature
- 1 cup + 1/3 cup sugar - divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon grated Meyer or regular lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 large peaches - pitted and chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Basil sprigs for garnish - if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, eggs, lemon zest, and basil; beat until just combined. Add half the flour mixture; beat on low until combined. Add remaining half of flour mixture; beat on low until just combined. Spoon, distributing evenly, into 6-cup jumbo muffin pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the peach compote. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine peaches, water, 1/3 cup sugar, and ginger. Simmer 5-7 minutes, or until peaches are tender and juices have thickened slightly. Remove from heat. In a medium bowl, stir together mascarpone and honey until combined. When ready to serve, slice a small portion off the top of each cakelet to make a flat top. Place each cakelet on a plate, cut side down. Top each cakelet with a generous amount of peach syrup (from compote), allowing to soak in and drizzle down sides. Top each with peaches (from compote) and serve with mascarpone. If desired, garnish with basil.
Write Your Own Review