Cedric's Tavern Vegetable Farro
This healthy side dish from Biltmore's relaxing tavern is full of flavor and warm comfort.
Preparation Time: 1:00
Cooking Time: 0:00
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup carrots - diced small
- 1/4 cup celery - diced small
- 1/4 cup yellow onion - diced small
- 2 red peppers - roasted and julienned
- 4 cups cooked farro
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 lemon - juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 bunch parsley - finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- To roast red peppers, place over open flame and char on all sides. Place in airtight container, either brown bag, bowl with plastic wrap or plastic container with lid. Peppers will sweat and skin will become loose and easily peeled off. Do not rinse under water.
- Cook farro according to package directions. Cool by spreading in a thin layer on a sheet pan or casserole pan.
- Bring one gallon water to a rolling boil. Add 1/2 cup Kosher salt. Prepare an ice water bath. Cook snap peas, broccoli and cauliflower separately; each vegetable should take approximately four minutes to cook. Immediately transfer to ice bath to stop cooking process.
- Preheat a large, heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Cook carrots, celery and onions in the olive oil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Add white wine and lemon juice and reduce by half.
- Next add cooked farro, snap peas, broccoli, roasted peppers and cauliflower. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until heated through.
- Finish dish with chopped parsley, parmesan cheese, lemon zest, salt, pepper and cold butter. Serve immediately in warmed bowls.
Write Your Own Review